A healthy colon is the backbone of a healthy body. It is responsible for collecting and ridding the body of any toxins and wastes. A colon that is not functioning properly affects the entire body. Toxins and parasites build up, which may lead to chronic disease. Thus, it is important to do all we can to achieve a healthy colon. Eating the right foods is a big part of this.
Most of us think we know what types of foods we should consume for a healthy colon. Foods that are low in fat, sodium, and sugars are considered to be healthy. But there are specific colon-friendly foods that you should consume to achieve a healthy colon.
Here are some great tips on how to choose foods for a healthier colon:
1. Choose non-red, non-proceded meats – These include poultry, fish, eggs, beans, whole grains, and soy products. Eating these foods will help you consume the necessary levels of protein for your body, without intaking any additional toxins or parasites.
Make sure that the poultry that you choose is "free range" and "steroid free." Consuming poultry that have been infected with chemicals has proven to increase the risk of diseases in humans.
2. Eat vegetables and fruits with color – Vegetables and fruits of all colors will help you maintain a healthy colon. These foods are rich in anti-oxidants which help you fight the risk of cancer. They also strengthen your immune system, on top of helping you get a healthy colon.
Optimal food choices include blueberries, strawberries, bell peppers, carrots, and broccoli.
3. Consume fiber – Fiber is essential to achieving a healthy colon. A proper amount of fiber helps clean the walls of the colon.
Fiber is found in fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes. Fiber is the part of plant foods that humans can not digest. As fiber passes through the digestive system, fiber binds to cholesterol, helping the body eliminate it. Fiber also prevails constipation and reduces the risk of hemorrhoids. All in all, proper consumption of fiber is vital to a healthy colon.
4. Drink water – ESPecially with the consumption of fiber, you need to drink plenty of water for a healthy colon. Water will lubricate your body, prevent constipation, and flush your body of wastes and toxins.
Dehydration can lead to constipation, which will only clog your body more and increase the amount of toxins that are floating around inside you. Be sure to drink plenty of water, about 1-2 liters a day.
5. Folic acid – Folic acid is an essential B vitamin, which studies show can lower your risk of colon cancer. Adding folic acid to your current diet is pretty simple. Folic acid can be found in many foods, including lentils, collard greens, asparagus, broccoli, strawberries, and oranges. Consuming a moderate amount of folic acid goes a long way to getting a healthy colon.
These 5 colon-friendly foods can be incorporated into your diet today. Making conscious decisions in your diet will make a big difference in how healthy your colon is. So implement these foods today and continue on your way to getting a healthy colon.