Many people are now bombarded with hundreds of types of different proteins and recovery drinks. From Whey to Creatine, to Isolates to Concentrates. Yet with all of these different Protein Drinks and Recovery Drinks we just can not find the one that will best fit our personal needs. First, let us begin with explaining what exactly Protein is and what forms it comes in.
There are two Main types of Protein Powders :
Whey Protein – Whey Protein is a Fast acting and a Fast absorbing Protein. It will typically be absorbed into your system within 30 minutes after digestion. This is a great protein to have post workout because since you have a one hour time frame, "The Window of Opportunity" to consume your supplements to get the best effect, it would fit perfectly. Whey is pretty cheap and would not put a hole in your wallet. Whey protein is important for just about everyone! Whey is infused with essential amino acids, such as glutamine which is an endurance booster and also helps prevent muscle deterioration while weight lifting, the content from high quality whey protein not only can, but will help your muscles recover and grow faster by bringing up the levels of protein in your body.
With dieting and those wishing to lose some extra fat, whey protein can be very useful because a good intake of protein can balance blood sugar levels and help with the fluctuation of blood pressure. When the blood sugar levels stay balanced, one is not as prone to eating rampantly and has more energy and greater fat loss. Whey protein allows a person to control his or her diet effectively. Most people who want to change their body for the better could benefit from whey protein supplementation; however, since protein is naturally found in many food items deficiency is usually not a problem.
Casein Protein – Casein protein is a slow-digesting protein because it forms a gelly texture in the gut, which results in a steady release of amino acids into the blood stream over time. Research shows that when you take casein, you will reach a peak in blood amino acids and protein synthesis between three to four hours. The total release of amino acids in the bloodstream can last as long as 7 hours after ingestion of casein protein. Casein is excellent in decreasing the amount of Muscle Breakdown and can really benefit you muscle growth over time.
- RECOVERY DRINK
– Recovery Formulas are Great for a Post Workout Shake. They are composed of a 4: 1 Simple Carb to Protein Ratio. Recovery Formulas are made up of, typically, sugars and Complex and simple carbs. This is likely due to the glycogen depletion that your body encounters after vigorous exercise. I personally use a Recovery Formula and Not a Protein Shake mainly due to the fact that I have seen better results with the Recovery Formula than a Protein Shake.
A Recovery Drink contains:
- Simple and complex carbohydrates for excellent glycogen replenishment *
- A high Protein Efficiency Ratio blend to provide the critical building blocks for rapid muscle resynthesis *
- Vitamins, including antioxidants, to help reduce muscle soreness after an intestinal workout and assist in repair and growth *
- Studies show that with proper nutrition during the first hour following a workout you can increase your body's ability to recover more than 100%. The key component to maximizing this "window of opportunity" is a formula of approximately 4 parts carbohydrates to 1 part protein. With Taking a Recovery Formula after my workouts i have little to no muscle soreness and my body is rejuvenated after 45 minutes.
If you are trying to gain muscle mass and develop lean muscle and do not mind a little weight gain due to you putting on muscle because of the addition of extra protein in your diet, then I would suggest using Whey Protein And Casein together for maximum benefits. BUT if you just want to reduce muscle soreness and help your body recover to about 100% then i would suggest going with the Recovery Formula. Recovery Formulas contain more carbs for more sustainable energy and also have some protein in it to assist in muscle repairs.